Monday, September 22, 2008

5 Happy Years Together!

John and I celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary on the 16th of August. We didn't do a lot of celebrating on the actual day because John had a work deadline to finish. All we did was stay at home, eat our favorite Chinese takeout, and watch one of our favorite shows, Psych. Nothing big, but still a great date. We did have some other things planned for later in the month and into Sept to make up for it. I really can't believe it has been 5 years already! It has flown by, but at the same time it feels like we have been together for so much longer (in a good way).





At the end of the month, we went to a Jack Johnson concert at our nearby amphitheater. We both love his music and have every album. This was the first time we have seen him live and, I have to say, he was awesome. The mood was so relaxed and romantic. Lots of couples around us acting all schmoopies with each other. At one point, we had an older couple making out in front of us. Pretty funny. The only downer of the evening (I had been previously warned) was the large group of high school kids next to us really enjoying themselves and lighting up their pot filled cigarettes all around us. I probably could have handled the smoke if I wasn't pregnant, but, at times, it was unbearable. There were two really nice girls next to us who saw my pain and allowed us to move down further away from them. Here we are before the concert started.
This was one of the bands that played before Jack came on. The band is Rogue Wave and they on Jack's label. I guess he really only tours with people from his label. They were pretty good. I was able to get a little clip of what they sounded like if you want to watch.



A few pics of Jack in action.
I took a ton of videos and tried so many times to upload them on here, but it would never work for me. So, sorry, you can't listen to them! I was very bummed. I guess they were just too long. Just for Brody, I got a video of him performing the Curious George song and played it for him. He loved it so much. I guess he is a fan too or maybe it is just his mad love for George and that movie.
After the concert was over, we met up with John's brother Tyler and his wife Kristi, who were also there but in a different section from us. We all had a great time. I would totally recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Jack Johnson. I will definitely be wanting to go again the next time he is in town.

In mid Sept, we also celebrated by taking a little getaway to Santa Barbara. It was the first overnighter we had alone since before Brody was born. It was so relaxing and it was definitley what I needed before having a new baby in the house. I realize now how important it is to get away sometimes from the kids, if at all possible. Huge thanks to Lee and Aneta for watching Brody those two days!!

We left on a Friday morning, dropped Brody off at John's parents, and then headed out. I was a little sad that Brody really didn't care that we were leaving. All I wanted was a hug and kiss goodbye! So sad :( I guess that was a good thing that he was fine with it all and not screaming and crying as we drove away. Anyway, we had both missed the road trips we used to take before we had kids and talking about things non kid related, so the trip up there was great. We passed through my old hometown of Moorpark and drove around the town to see what was new. I hadn't been back since my parents moved away a few years ago. I really think it is beautiful there and would live in that area again if we could. Once we got to Santa Barbara, we checked into our hotel and then walked the streets of Main St, site seeing and shopping. Growing up, I remember heading there with friends and having so much fun. It was still very fun and beautiful city, but a lot more bums walking around everywhere then I remember. Later that night, we took a few pictures before heading to dinner.


Here is a funny story. After we came back from dinner, we went back to the hotel and found our room all transformed. The shades were drawn, the bed was turned down, romantic lighting, chocolates on the nightstand, and the radio was on and set to love songs. As soon as we realized what we were walking into, I turned to John and said, "Did you book the honeymoon suite?" He didn't, but we both had a good laugh.

On Saturday, John had booked me a surprise pregnancy massage at the hotel spa. They were also having a special that, if you bought a massage, then you could get a free 1 hour facial. So that morning, I had the ultimate relaxation. It was awesome! I was the only one in the spa too, which was great. Massages are great in general, but while pregnant, it is heaven. While I was relaxing away, John was doing the same in spa-like bath they had in our room reading ESPN magazine. Then he watched football undisturbed. After our great morning, we walked the pier and took a few pictures. It was overcast the whole time we were there and was perfect after the hot summer days we were experiencing at home. You can see our hotel in the picture. It is just to the left of the pier.

The happy couple.
Here is a great shot of my huge baby bump. I am feeling it now. Almost there!
Well, 5 years later with one kid already and one more on the way, we are still going strong. Can't wait to spend many more great years together!

8 comments:

karin said...

John looks so young in your wedding photos. I want to go somewhere with just Bryan, it has been months since we have even gone on a date.

Missy said...

Wow! How fun!! Jack Johnson would be awesome! That hotel sounds awesome and the massage sounds excellent!! It's SO nice to getaway! Shawn loves to do that and we've done overnighters more with 2 kids than with one...you need it more!
Cute pics of you pregnant too!

Darci said...

Love the photo at the end of the 2 of you. We are leaving today for our weekend getaway and I can't wait, they are totally needed.

Sheyna said...

And to think I was there when you two were dating! Remember when you came over for games? Great times. I think that was the first time we met John and we thought he was so cool. You look so cute pregnant Kelly! Happy 5th!

Unknown said...

I love seeing wedding pictures, you both look so good! Love your dress by the way. Congratulations on your 5 years! And I totally want to see Jack Johnson when he comes, love his music.

DarbyM said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! I remember the day you got married, I was prego with Maren and soooo sick :) LOL

You look fantastic and glad you had fun on your no kids getaway!

Unknown said...

Kelly! What great blessings in your life! You were a beautiful bride and a beautiful almost second time mother! Congrats!

The Bartel Bunch... said...

Wow. That is going to make my five year seem so lame! But it sounds like you had a WONDERFUL time! I am happy for you!