The day before Brody got sick, some friends and I traveled up to Long Beach to tour the Queen Mary. For the month of January, there was free admission to all CA residents. So my friend Brooke and I took our kids and drove up. Long Beach is a pretty tricky city to drive around and we ended up taking a wrong turn and finding ourselves right in the middle of the shipping yards of one of the biggest ports in the US. It was very funny, but also a little scary having huge trucks, massive cranes, and thousands of crates all around us. The kids loved it though.
We finally made it to the Queen Mary and had a very interesting time. Let's just say I am very glad that admission was free because it would have been a total waste of money. Normal admission is $25! What a rip off! Then they charge you $12 for parking when you have been there for more than an hour. They are also trying to renovate the place, so it is really hard to find your way around. We then asked some of the staff where to go and they told us to go on the upper deck. We went and hung around there for a while, which was fun, but not too much to see. I did get a few good pictures, though, and the view of the coastline was beautiful.
We finally made it to the museum and everyone was happy. It was a nice museum, but still not worth $25. I learned a lot of how popular the ship was in its day. It kind of reminded me of the Titanic movie. That was the only thing I had to compare it too. The engine room was absolutely amazing. I couldn't believe how all these controls and huge steam pipes could move such a massive ship. The further in you went in the engine room, the more claustrophobic it became. Brody decided he had enough and threw a huge fit, so we all headed back out and headed home. Here was Brody when we first entered the engine room and in a happier mood.
It was interesting to go see the Queen Mary once, but I don't think I will be going again any time soon. At least, not with the kids.
1 comment:
Nathan and I went to the Aquarium of the Pacific and we got lost in the port too! It was was scary. I don't like driving in Long Beach at all! Glad you had some fun.
Post a Comment