At the very end of February, my wonderful Poppy passed away. It was a little bit of a shock to a lot of us. My parents and other family were just with him the week prior for a big family get-together. I was enjoying an amazing women's conference at our church building that Saturday morning when I checked my silenced phone and saw many texts and messages from my parents and John. Luckily, all the classes were over or I would have been a mess. That same day I had plans for a girls day out after for lunch and a movie and John had taken the kids up to his parents' house for some fun. I was lucky to have great friends to be around to enjoy Cafe Rio and see "Dear John" to ball my eyes out with the rest of the audience. It was much better then staying home alone.My brother and I flew into the Oakland airport early Thursday morning, the day of the funeral, and met up Lindsey, Easton, and Mataya, who had just flown in. We got our rental van and drove up to Rio Vista to the cemetery. The service was wonderful and it was very nice to see everyone there. My dad led the service, Dennis and Jeff read some of the Life Story and the Lindsey, Jen, and I sobbingly read a poem. They also did very nice flag ceremony since he was a veteran. Everything was wonderful.
I miss my Poppy dearly. He was an amazing grandfather, father, brother, and friend. I was definitely reminded of that when attending the funeral. The things I remember most were how much he loved this country. He was very patriotic and served in the Army in WWII. He was the best at doing crossword puzzles. I can imagine him sitting in his recliner with one in his hand as we all were watching TV, talking, or doing whatever. I will remember him working so hard attending to his garden and fruit trees in Holland house and then the orange trees of his home now. I will cherish the wonderful things he built us growing up, like the doll house and toy box that we still have. I will especially miss our phone calls and hearing him laugh as I talk about the kids and the funny things they are doing. One memory I will remember most growing up was at Christmastime being able to pass out gifts with Poppy since I was the oldest grandchild. I don't know why I will always remember that, but I felt so special like it was something only I could do with him. I will miss him so much, but can't wait for the day when I can see him again with Granny. I love you Poppy!
Here is a wonderful picture of Brody and Poppy.
Here is my immediate family minus John and Brandon and some of the kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment