Saturday, April 9, 2011

Stater Bros Field Trip

Brody's preschool went on a field trip to the Stater Bros. grocery store in February and Piper and I went along. I had never been in the back, so I was pretty excited to see behind the scenes of the grocery store at which we always shop. It was also fun to actually meet all the workers I see every week.

This is Alicia and she took us through the store, showing us around, introducing us to people, and explaining things to us. She was great and very energetic with the kids. She had us all say HELLO in unison as we past customers. The kids thought that was great.
They took us in the back with through the big doors and showed us all the box smasher, which could only be operated by managers and such.
The kids were fascinated.
This is how the boxes look after it is done. Pretty cool machine.This was Big Joe. He is a forklift-type machine that moves the very heavy items.This was him at work moving the crates with soda on top.
Just then the truck pulled up ready to drop off a load. This was very exciting to see in person.The kids were so excited when the employees said they could go in the truck! How cool is that! Brody is the kid you can't see on the far back left behind Jack. What was funny was the only things that they were dropping off were the boxes right behind the kids. I noticed they were labeled, Milgro, which is my sister Lindsey's in-laws' company. It is a nursery and I guess they sell to Stater Bros. I thought it was pretty funny anyway. There he is! Next up was the freezer. They let all the kids go inside and it was pretty freezing. Just being outside was enough for me. I think this was the kids' favorite part of the whole tour. They thought it was the coolest being next to the ice cream in the freezer!Then they took us into the refrigerator. I liked this part the best because this is where they stock the fridge and they are behind the glass. I am sometimes getting milk or yogurt and I always get startled when I see eyes peering out at me from the other side. This time it was my turn to see what it was like.We went to the meat department next to see the men at workThe kids got to see them wrap up some fresh cut meat with their wrapping machine.Then it was off to the seafood department where they saw Sponge Bob and his friends. Who knew?The Captain saying hi to everyone. He taught them all about what kind of fish they have and showed them some cool stuff.The fresh lobster from the tank.A few of them were brave enough to touch him.Fascinated by the King Crab leg.Brody touched the Octopus and loved it so much that he will still talk about it.Then Alicia talked about fruits and veggies. . . .as the kids starred intently waiting to shout out which food was which.Then the produce manager show them the funny looking fruits with bumps and spikes.What a cool mini pineapple.They each got to spray the produce and Brody was first in line. Way to go Brody!I love Shayla's reaction in this one.After the produce, the pastry lady showed them how to decorate a cake. She moved really fast and put me to shame big time. It was impressive.The deli was the last stop where they were given free sample of their fresh cut turkey.They took us all up to the front and had the kids ring up a box of cereal all by themselves. Then they gave each one of them a cookie and an activity bag with fruit, water, a cookie card for a free one every time you come in, and a bunch of other little things. It is so great that they do this for the kids. Stater Bros. was so nice to us. So glad I shop there!

No comments: