Monday, October 24, 2011

Blue Sharks

Brody started his first year of AYSO soccer in September.  He is in the boys U5 division, which means that the boys are 4 turning 5.  Brody just missed the cut off by a week, so he is the oldest in his group and, as you can tell, definitely the tallest and probably most mature too.  The U5 and U6 divisions only practice and play on Saturday, so they have 30 mins of practice and 30 mins of game time.  We are loving that.  An hour each week is plenty for this age and it is just enough for them to learn the game and have some fun too.  

We have really been impressed with this program.  We love our couch, Couch Shawn.  He is so great with the kids and they all love him.  He is the dad of one of the other boys on the team who just happens to be named Brody too.  What are the chances of two Brody's on a 5 man team?   It was a bit confusing at first, but we all got it down now.

Here is Brody's team, the Blue Sharks, waiting for their turn on picture day.  Coach Shawn, Marek, Brody, Kien, Jonathan, and Brody.
Just starting the first practice.  We actually were supposed to start on Labor Day weekend, but a crazy storm (lightening, thunder, hail, lots of rain) passed through just as we were supposed to start practice, so everyone rushed from the field to take shelter.  About an hour later the storm was gone.  This is CA, right?
Great kick Brody!
Trying to listen to coach tell them about a drill.  You can really see the height difference here!
Almost your turn Brody!
 
Game time!
GO Brody GO!!  I have to admit, I really like watching him play soccer.  I didn't think I would love it as much as I do and I have turned into one of those parents who loves to yell (only good things though)  I just get so excited for him.  It must be my previous soccer training.  He has done really well, though.  Maybe it is his age, but he is more focused and gets to the ball quicker, and is so sturdy that the other kids can't knock him down as easily as he does to them.  He is their leading scorer on the team.  His first game he scored 2 really, but we don't count one because he touched the ball with his hands before scoring.  The first one he took it down the whole field and scored, but I missed it because Piper needed to go to the potty.  I was so bummed!   His second game, he scored 4 goals.  That game was a bit embarrassing.  I had told him to find the ball and take it to the goal and that's what he did, even if that meant taking it from his own teammates.  John and I had to come to terms with the fact that our child was a ball hog.
First game over. Thanks yellow team!
 
Awesome job Brody!  Look at that red face!
Time for snacks!  I swear, soccer snacks are much more then I remember.  These are kids are getting a fruit, granola bar, fruit snack, crackers and a drink!  Its a full meal!  They also bring enough for all the siblings too.  I saw the other team this week brought cupcakes for their kids.  Crazy!  We're up this week, better start shopping or baking!
Also, every week the UC Irvine boys and girls soccer teams come and help out.  They don't do much, but it is fun having them there.  Here they are talking to the boys and couches.
We caught some of the Brody's goals from his 2nd game on camera.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

OH! He is so darling and tall! How fun to be a soccer mom for real! :)