Monday, October 10, 2011

Memories and Legacy Hall

On one of the days on our trip, we went to BYU and hung out at the Wilkinson Center and the BYU bookstore.  Our first stop though was the bowling alley to check out the games and see the students play.
Sitting on the high stools is always fun.

Then it was on to the bookstore in search for new books for the kids.  It's our little tradition whenever we visit BYU to get them a new book.  The kids had a hard time choosing until they found Star Wars and Tangled books.  They already have Star Wars and Tangled books, but these were different and there was no way of changing their minds.    

After checking out the Wilk, we decided to head to lunch at J-Dawgs.  This was John and I's first time going.  We had been intending to go many times as we heard it was the best little hot dog stand around.  For whatever reason, we just never ended up making it.  I'll have to say though that it was pretty darn good.  I would say it was better than a Costco dog, but not for the price.  You can't beat the price of a Costco dog!
This kids loves a good dog!
Little Miss Piper was more into her drink, but she isn't much of an eater anyway.
After lunch, we went to the BYU's Legacy Hall to check out Denny's football jersey.  I think the last time we were there it wasn't hung up yet.  They have it right out in the front windows when you come in.  It is very cool to see it all, but still weird to think that he is among the greats there.
Brody giving his best cougar roar for the camera.
LaVell Edward's tribute.
Austin Collie, Denny's friend and old roommate.
Don't remember what Brody was saying, but he was sure excited to tell me something about the swimming trophies.
Brody liked the cool looking wavy benches and thought pretending to be asleep was very funny. (It's his new thing)
Of course the little sister wants to always try what the big brother thinks is cool.  On a side note:  Do you see the guys down at the bottom in this picture?  They were recruits checking out the school and the guy talking to them at one point was Chad Lewis.  It was really fun to see him up close and the guys you could tell were pretty excited to be there too and around him.  If you ever want to see players, this is the place to be.  They are all over roaming around.
At some point in our time there, Brody got in trouble for not being nice to Piper, so he got a time out.  He was pretty mad at us.  This was just too funny not to take a picture.
Almost there kids! This is the difference in height between basketball player Shawn Bradley and a BYU gymnast.  Pretty amazing.
Here's how John compares to the 7'6" Bradley.
The Consensus All-American wall.  All these players were put on sometime ago and if you can see what looks like a picture just to the right of the Y, that's Denny's picture.
Here it is close up.  If anyone else joins this wall, they'll have to start thinking about a new design.
Here is my mom posing with her son's jersey.  She might hate me for posting this, but I think she looks great. :)
Had to take a shot of his jersey as we were leaving.  I am one proud sister!



3 comments:

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

That really is so cool about your brother. My family is huge into NFL and I definitely name drop about my college roommates brother all the time. Baltimore is my brother's team in our family competition but I'm taking them next year if I can :) I still cheer for them though.

Kelly said...

You are welcome to name drop anytime Heidi :) I definitely do the same and say that the author of the Hashbrown Winters series and his wife are old friends. :) I do think it is great with the success he has had with those books. Never would have guessed that our lives (or families lives) would have gone this way. So fun!

Unknown said...

I love it! You are raising a little BYU family already! I have fond memories of yearly BYU trips - probably out of memory-lane for my parents + a little BYU indoctrination. ahah