Sunday, March 11, 2012

Our MLK Daycation

On Martin Luther King Day, the kids and I decided it was a perfect day to drive up and visit my sister Lindsey and the kids with everyone out of school.  We arrived about noon and then drove over to a little farm in Somis to feed the animals and eat lunch.  It is the perfect place to stop for an hour or so with kids.  It is owned by the Somis fruit market next door that we used to go to as a kid.  I have fond memories of this place as we used to get our strawberries there and stop on our way back from the beach with my best friend's family.   Brody was very excited when we got there, but a lot of it was because he was there with his cousins.  
With all the quarters we could find, the kids got to feed the goats some pellets.
No fingers were nibbled or lost that day thanks to their nifty pipe feeding system.
A pretty well groomed Llama or Alpaca (I can never tell the difference).
I was pretty fascinated with the chickens.  They were so interesting.  I especially loved the black and white lace-looking one on the left.
Piper loved playing on the wooden car.
They even had a great sandbox and sand toys to play with.

I guess the goats like to hang out up there and get some sun.
Here's the cutest little goat I've ever seen!
After the farm, we went back to the Bell's house and let the kids play inside for a while.  Piper is into dress ups now and loved trying on all of Brooklyn's outfits.  Ariel is one of her favorites.
We let the kids outside for a while too and they rode bikes and colored in the garage until dinner.  We took them over to the T.O. mall to eat at the food court and to get the rest of their energy out at the play area before bedtime and heading home.  I haven't been to this mall for a very long time.  They have completely changed it to where I don't even recognize it from growing up.  It was a great mall back then.  Lot's of fun memories of hanging out with friends, seeing some celebrities, and shopping with my mom.  It is pretty awesome now and I was really impressed.

The kids ate hotdogs and then played at the cool-looking tree house play area while we ate some great tasting salads and talked.  I was asking Lindsey if she ever runs into anyone we knew when she comes here, but she said not really.  We gathered the kids together to leave when we heard,  "Hey, it's the Pitta girls!"  It was our old friend Mikey Meru.  We haven't seen him in like 10+ years.  It was really fun catching up with him and remembering everyone else we used to know.  His wife and adorable little girl where with him and we got to meet both of them for the first time too.  It's fun to see how people have changed and what they are up too.  For Mikey, he seems to be a little bit more mellow and mature then his crazy-fun loving self before.  I love running into people (only when I look presentable, of course)!

Since we were preoccupied with seeing old friends, the kids took advantage and were running all about.  We found them all sitting at the nearby yogurt place watching the movie Tangled. We grabbed some yogurt for us all as they were probably bugging the staff in some way.
Then it was time to go home.  My kids did not want to leave as they love playing with their cousins.  Brody tried to convince me to have a sleepover.  Maybe some time soon we will have to do that.  Thanks for the fun day Lindsey, Brooklyn, and Easton!

No comments: