Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Disneyland 5k

Labor Day weekend, I ran the Disneyland 5k race. I went with my friends Shaylyn and Abby. It was my first 5k and we all had so much fun. I thought it would be pretty easy since I like to run and do it on a regular basis, pushing my kids in the jogger, but it kind of kicked my butt. I made a few amateur mistakes that I won't be repeating.

1st mistake: The Monday before the race, I noticed that the back of one of my heels was starting to hurt. I wear the backs of my shoes out the most. So, I decided that I better get a new pair and wear them out as much as possible all week so I would be good for the race. I got new Asics this time around, but they hit me just right on my heel and put enough pressure that I immediately got a blister. I thought I just needed more time in them, but even up to the race I still had one bad heel. I had never had a problem this bad with tennis shoes. I even debated just going back to my old ones, but it was too late. So, I bandaged up my heal the best I could and was off. My foot killed even walking, so I said a little prayer in hopes that I could even finish. Surprisingly, I didn't feel it one bit while I was running, but once I stopped, I barely made it on the walk back to the car, it killed so bad. I'd say that is a miracle!

2nd mistake: The day before the race we had to pick up our packets and numbers at the Disneyland Hotel. It was like a huge runners convention. Shaylyn and I thought it would be a simple pick up your number and get out of there thing, but it turned into an hour and a half deal. Not so fun for 5 kids between the both of us standing in lines a mile long. Actually the kids were pretty good and they got balloons out of it, so they were pretty happy. They gave us our shirts for the race and goodie bag with samples and information. I went through it all once I got home and found a sample protein bar they gave us. I made the mistake of eating it in the early morning before I left for the race. I thought 2 hours was enough time to digest and give me some added energy. Well I was wrong. I pushed myself so good throughout the race that, on the last leg, I had to completely stop because I would have barfed everywhere. I would have rather walked across the finish line then done that. It took me about a minute to control my stomach before I started running again and was able to sprint down the long stretch of Main Street. Either it was the pushing myself or the food before that caused it, but next time I will not be eating just to be sure.

3rd mistake: Wearing the shirt they gave us from the race was a big mistake. I have become so spoiled with real running shirts, that I forgotten how horrible it is to run in regular cotton shirts. When you are done, it is like you jumped in the pool and then your shirt weighs a ton. I think I assumed that we all had to wear them. When we got there in the morning, we realized that about half had them on. For next time I know better.

The race was really fun though. The course was from the parking lot shuttles, through California Adventure, and then in Disneyland where it ended down Main Street. They had characters and staff cheering you on throughout and music playing from the speakers. It was a great family atmosphere with both runners and walkers alike. I would definitely run it again and am excited to plan for my next 5k. Anyone interested in joining me?
Abby and I looking good before the race.
Shaylyn and I
Just finished the race and came in at just over 31 minutes. I was a bit disappointed that I didn't hit my goal of under 30 mins. Maybe next time. John and the kids wanted to come and cheer me on at the finish line, but the crowds were so big and it took so long to get through the security line that he just missed me finishing. Once I was done I immediately found him trying to get through everyone. They gave us a nice medal for finishing too.
After I found John and the kids, I went back to the finish line and waited for Shaylyn and Abby to cross. Here is all of us at the end.John and the kids and I walked slowly back to the car through Downtown Disney. Brody saw the Lego store and went crazy. He had fun playing on the giant lego.Brody posing with my medal. The kids love to play with it.The end to a fun morning.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for you for running a 5k - misktakes an all! :D

Kierstin said...

Go Girl!! You never did any 5ks at BYU? It seems like they were every other weekend.

I just ordered a new pair of Asics GT tonight (my favorite running shoes, my current ones are thrashed). I am ready to hit the pavement again after about 3 years of inconsistency.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I would totally do that one with you every year if I lived closer. How fun. Your time is really good.

Tyson and Denise said...

Yeah, I'm not even a runner, but that 5K looks totally fun! I love Disneyland, I am so jealous of your season pass and wish I was close enough to have one too!

Abby said...

I am so proud of you that you ran. I hope to run it next year and then maybe work my way up to the half. We will see.

I was impressed mistakes and all you did great!!

Michelle said...

Totally awesome time, Kel! That looks like a fun 5K. I just may take you up on your offer for running it next year!