To celebrate 6 years together, John and I went to see The Killers play at the Hollywood Bowl in mid-September. We love them and have all their albums. We first dropped the kids off with John's parents for the night and headed to LA. Because were a little late leaving, we arrived in the parking lot right at 8 when it was to start. To our surprise, we found a parking stop pretty quickly and were off on the long walk up to the bowl. This was the second time we have been to the bowl and we both really enjoy going. This time around, we noticed a big difference in the crowd compared to the usual crowd of older, richer, cultured couples and groups that like to bring their picnic baskets of wine and cheese. This crowd was much more rock-concert worthy. After being there, I think I prefer the former much more.
Once we got in we went to our seats, we started listening to the opening act and thought they stunk. It was this old British guy dancing around the stage and singing in a screeching voice. It wasn't until they came on stage with the Killers and sang "Pretty in Pink" together that we realized it was the Psychedelic Furs. Other than loving the smash hit song from my favorite 80's collection, I won't be going to see them in concert again.

It was during this opening act that we met some of our favorite fans of the night (heavy sarcasm). They were in the row directly in front of us and it was quite the double date. The horny, drunk/stoned red head who called John and I "colorful" with her teenage-looking loser boyfriend, doing more than just making out and causing our entire row to become extremely uncomfortable. They were with a drunk/smoking/stoned/no married ring wearing tom girl and her twice-her-age/wedding ring wearing/drunk/smoking/stoned date/boyfriend/husband(?) who liked to dance like he was back at Woodstock. They were so distracting and it went on throughout the whole concert! By the end, you couldn't tell who was with who. So disgusting!
I need to give credit to the rest of the fans. They were great. I loved laughing and being disgusted with the two guys next to me, and the girls next to John were pretty hysterical too. They were normal sober people. Why is it there are sometimes a few people that can ruin it for everyone? John and I are even contemplating never going to a concert again. When we went to Jack Johnson, we had the teenage pot smokers right next to us (and I was pregnant then) and this vulgar group this time. I don't know.

Other than that, the concert was pretty awesome. The music was so good. They really sounded great! I was definitely a dancing machine and I loved it! The best part, I think, of the whole night though was their play on the Kanye West/ Taylor swift incident. Jimmy Kimmel came out on stage (a huge Killers fan) playing the Kanye part and yelling about Beyonce being better. I am leaving out a lot, but it was really hilarious since the incident had just recently happened.


Brandon Flowers, I think, is a true talent. He was going around playing most of the instruments and has great vocals, plus he is easy to look at too :)

I took a lot of video, but this was the only one that would upload for me. Still great though!
Some of the cool pyrotechnics.


After the concert, we waited around for the crowds leave and enjoyed sitting in the amphitheater talking, then wandered over to the back of the stage where a small crowd was waiting for the band to come out. We waited for a bit, but John made us leave :(. Then we walked down toward our car and picked up some of the famous street vendors' bacon-wrapped hot dogs. I am not going to lie, they were amazing. I so impressed on how makeshift their set up is, just a cookie sheet on top of a burner and a little cart. It was a great ending to a good night.
2 comments:
John looks high in that first photo, or maybe he's just doing one of his "standard" photo faces. Sweet.
I think its SO funny you guys went to this concert..the fans sound very amusing!
Post a Comment